Citrus Spice Brussels Sprout Salad
You are going to LOVE this fresh, healthy, clean dish! It's sweet, salty, crunchy, and has the perfect dash of tang. Leave the bacon and cheese at the door and you've got a vegan salad ready to go! Enjoy it as a starter salad or add chicken or tofu to make it a meal.
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts trimmed and shredded
- 1 Large Fuji Apple diced into matchstick pieces
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 tbsp Sonoma Harvest California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Slices cooked bacon, crumbled (can be omitted to be vegetarian or vegan)
- 1/3 cup Dried Cranberries or Pomegranate Seeds
- 1/3 cup Sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 tbsp Sonoma Harvest Citrus Spice Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toast sliced almonds for 5 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Cool then roughly chop. Set aside.
- Either place the bacon on the baking tray used for the almonds and bake until golden, or cook in a skillet. Drain on paper towels.
- Cut apple into matchsticks, keeping the skin on. Toss in lemon juice.
- Shred trimmed Brussels Sprouts using the shredding blade of a food processor or slice thinly with a knife.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- When heated, add brussels sprouts and sauté 3 minutes until slightly wilted.
- Remove pan from heat and pour contents into a large bowl.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, apples, bacon and toss until coated.
- Divide onto four plates and garnish with dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds, toasted almond slices and shaved Pecorino Romano. Serve warm or at room temperature.