Pumpkin Black Bean Soup
Here comes Fall! Enjoy this seasonal soup alongside a crispy sourdough toast and a leafy green salad. Perfect to bring to a Halloween party, Thanksgiving potluck, or to enjoy in the breakroom at your office!
- 2 (15 oz) cans organic black beans; drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can diced organic tomatoes
- 3 cup low sodium broth of your choice
- 1 tbsp Sonoma Harvest California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup onion; chopped
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves; minced
- 2 - 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 - 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper (adjust amount to heat preference)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can pure pumpkin puree (not pie mix)
- 2 - 3 tsp Sonoma Harvest Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegar
- Puree beans and tomatoes with half of the broth in a large capacity blender. If you have a smaller capacity blender, you may need to do it in two batches.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, cook until soft and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add spices, stir and cook for a minute or two until they bloom and you can smell them.
- Stir in black bean & tomato puree, pumpkin, and the remainder of the broth. Simmer uncovered until blended and thickened, about 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in vinegar and serve. For an extra smooth soup, return to blender and give it another whirl!
- Top with garnishes of your choice: grated jack or cheddar cheese, crumbled queso fresco, diced fresh tomato, sliced green onions or chives, low fat sour cream, diced avocado, croutons, chopped cilantro, roasted pumpkin seeds... the options are endless! Enjoy!